DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data Load Error Handling Capability ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Forms Playback Support (.fld files)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Data Load Error Handling Capability ??? Reply with quote

Dear memebers,

I am using Forms record and play back method to load records in oracle applications 11.5.9. I have few questions about data loads error handling capabilty.

I read the documentation and in that it is said, when we play back a plack back file all that is played back is recorded in to a dataload log file and we can see what is loaded by opening that log file in dataload.

Suppose if an error occurs while loading, how does dataload interpret it in the log file. How can we know where the error occured. Suppose take an example :

I am using the Transaction form in oracle where i need to create few credit memos. This form is a master detail form and in the master section of the form we have a field where we enter the ship_to code for a customer, suppose the data we enter here is wrong, then form will give an error.

Generally after entering the ship_to code we enter into the detail section of the form. If an error occurs while entering the ship_to code will dataload go to the detail section and entering the data there.

It would be great if any body could help me out about how does dataload handle errors if they occur. Please explain with an example if you have.

I hope you will give a reply.

Thanks
Sandeep
David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandeep,

Take a look at http://www.dataload.net/help/recplay/overview.htm and read the Setup section for information on the file that DataLoad records. Let's say that you define the playback file as PlayBack001.fld and the record file as Record001.fld. You put the data that you want to play back into PlayBack001.fld and Oracle Forms puts the results into Record001.fld

Take a look at http://www.dataload.net/about/classicprof.html for a few words more on errors.

Basically, when DataLoad Professional encounters an error, it stops processing (unlike DataLoad Classic, which just runs on until you hit ESC). If you use DataLoad to open the Record001.fld (see above) then you can see what data was actually loaded. Compare this with what you asked for (in PlayBack001.fld) and the next record is the one that had a problem. Now copy PlayBack001.fld to PlayBack002.fld and delete from the new file all of the ones that were correctly loaded (as evidenced by Record001.fld), then correct the error in (what is now) the first record in PlayBack002.fld and you are ready to load using PlayBack002.fld and record into Record002.fld. Repeat the process as often as is required.

I like to try to keep my loads as clean as possible, so I try to do lots of validation in Excel. For example, you suggested a problem with the Ship-to code. I would have a list of Customers and their Ship-to codes in a separate sheet in Excel, and validate my data against that.

To continue that theme, I would have an Excel Workbook with sheet names something like this:-
Raw Data,
Validation,
DataLoad Classic
DataLoad Professional

The first sheet would have columns like Customer Number, Ship-to Code, Invoice Number, Quantity, Amount, Tax Code, etc, etc.

The second sheet would have a list of the Customer Numbers and their Ship-to Codes, a list of all of the Tax Codes, etc, etc.

The third sheet would have all of the navigation instructions and the data (using formulas to point at the first sheet) necessary to do a load using DataLoad Classic. Why? Because I can set DataLoad Professional to Record, then start up DataLoad Classic to play back two or three absolutely identical records, which is what DataLoad Professional requires. Thus I can use DataLoad Classic to create my record file for DataLoad Professional. I don't do this for very simple loads, just the more complicated ones.

The fourth sheet would contain the fields necessary for DataLoad Professional.

Cool HTH

David.
Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

David K. Dickson
DataLoad Forum Moderator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Forms Playback Support (.fld files) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: