DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PO price can be updated even when disabled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Forms Playback Support (.fld files)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_Murray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: PO price can be updated even when disabled Reply with quote

Hi,

During testing I found that a partially or fully received PO can still have its price updated through the forms playback method even though the field is disabled.

If this update is attempted manually through the GUI the users gets "Field is protected against update" but through forms playback there is no error of any kind and the record is saved to the database with no problems.

Contacted Oracle but they said that forms playback is not a supported method for updating data and therefore want nothing to do with it.

My understanding was that forms playback could only do "exactly" the same operations as a normal user could do through the GUI but this certainly seems to highlight that this not the case.

Has anyone experience problems like this before and found a fix to stop the playback files from updating records which it should not be able to?

I have rolled the form back to before our company made a few changes to it and still the problem exists .... suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark_Murray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Can anyone verify this issue? Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone verify that this issue exists please?
Obviously if we are talking about forms playback being able to do much more than what users can do through the GUI and in this case and it would mean the risk for it damaging business processes and controls is very high so how can we work around this?

Regards,

Mark
Mark_Murray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Seriously ... no suggestions after 3 years!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't want to shoot down a product but using forms playback is DANGEROUS, you can update fields which are disabled in the front-end when the user logs in manually. This fact alone should rule it out for ALL production updates.
No one in there right mind would use a tool that allows this kind of update to take place as it can corrupt data that the front-end is designed to prevent from being updated. When I contacted Oracle they do not support this kind of loading technique at all - to any type of Oracle instance.

If you choose to use this against a production instance have been warned!

For test instance loading its fair enough if something goes wrong then you can fix it or just refresh it.

Best of luck!

Mark

PS I've been using forms playback to 10 years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Forms Playback Support (.fld files) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: