DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DataLoad Classic vs DataLoad Professional

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> General DataLoad Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jly_dataload

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: DataLoad Classic vs DataLoad Professional Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just need some advice on whether I actually need DataLoad Professional to do what my User needs.

Case:
User has a large number of records to update in Oracle Financials which she wants to use DataLoad to automate. She is aware that she needs to group her data specifically by the field she wants to update. The problem is that for some records (and she can't identify which ones until she manually queries up each one), a extra field gets enabled, and for others records this doesn't happen.

Questions:
1)Is it possible to do a mouse click? So I do not have to tab from the field to field.
2)Do I need DataLoad Professional to do this or not? I prefer to stick to Classic, I'm more familiar and no need to worry abt licensing and extra setup. But in saying that Professional is not out of the question since we do have 1 licence for v4.2.x.

Your help will be appreciated. Smile

~Jennifer
David

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DataLoad Classic vs DataLoad Professional Reply with quote

jly_dataload wrote:
Questions:
1)Is it possible to do a mouse click? So I do not have to tab from the field to field.
2)Do I need DataLoad Professional to do this or not? I prefer to stick to Classic, I'm more familiar and no need to worry abt licensing and extra setup. But in saying that Professional is not out of the question since we do have 1 licence for v4.2.x.

1.) Yes, you can do a mouse click.
In Classic, use the *ML command. See the Macro Load Support forum topic "Problem with Load into Bank --> Bank Account in AP" where I explained how to do this.
In Professional, when you do a mouse click, it is recorded, then played back when required.

2.) DataLoad Professional is fast. Very fast. Today I have loaded 30,774 Cross-Segment Validation Rule Elements at a rate of over 7,000 per hour. But DataLoad Professional has its limits, and one of these is that all records in a load must be for the same fields, even if some of these are blank. So you can't, for example, have a single DataLoad that will load Suppliers and Supplier Sites, unless all Suppliers have the same number of sites. What you can do, however, is have two loads, where the first loads Suppliers only, and the second queries an existing Supplier and adds a Supplier Site. The same applies to Customers. In FSG, some rows have Account Assignments, some have Calculations and some have neither. This cannot be achieved in a single load, but can be achieved with three loads, where the first loads all rows, without assigning Accounts or Calculations, the second queries rows that need Accounts then adds them, and the third queries rows that need Calculations and adds them.

So, do you need Professional? Well, it depends on your volume and time constraints. If you have large volumes, DataLoad Professional will whizz through them effortlessly Smile and will allow you to continue using your PC for other tasks at the same time. If you have small volumes, and want to be able to handle multiple record types in the same run (e.g. Suppliers and Supplier Sites), then Classic will probably be better.

As they say, "You pays your money and you takes your choice".

Cool HTH

David
Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

David K. Dickson
DataLoad Forum Moderator
jly_dataload

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: In Classic, use the *ML command. Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for your advice. BTW when you said "In Classic, use the *ML command", is that command available in v4.2.x? I checked the cmd list in v4.2.x, and it does have it in the list. Is it something new in v4.3?

Also I managed find another way to getting around the 'extra field' issue, by using the *NB (next block) command. Smile How simple.

Regards,
Jennifer
David

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer,

According to the web site at http://www.dataload.net/help/macro/commands.htm the *ML command was added at 4.1 so it should work for you. Just type *ML into an empty DataLoad cell.

Unless you have DataLoad Professional installed and are unwilling to pay for another year's support and upgrades, why don't you simply download the latest version of DataLoad Classic free from http://www.dataload.net/downloads/index.html ?

Cool HTH

David

David K. Dickson
DataLoad Forum Moderator
jly_dataload

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Thanks for your info.
The situation here is that we have a perpetual license for v4.2. And a User who believes she may need the functionality of the Professional version.
Again thanks. Smile
~Jennifer
David

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jly_dataload wrote:

The situation here is that we have a perpetual license for v4.2. And a User who believes she may need the functionality of the Professional version.

I am still not quite sure that I understand what you mean. Are you saying that you have a licence for DataLoad Professional, which has been installed with v4.2? (DataLoad Classic is free, and upgrading to the latest version is free.)

However, it doesn't matter. You need some help in deciding whether to go Classic or Professional with an application that you are considering. I need some more information:

Arrow Which Oracle Application are you looking at?
Arrow Which Form within the application, and what is the Navigation path?
Arrow If the Form has optional sub-forms or Tabs, which of these do you plan to use?

Armed with this information, I will be in a better position to try to help.

David.

David K. Dickson
DataLoad Forum Moderator
jly_dataload

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for your help on my queries. You actually answered my main question about how to use the *ML functionality.

As for whether we go DataLoad Professional or Classic. Well we have 1 license for DataLoad Professional. And according the the procurer, we are only licensed for version 4.2, perpetual meaning that it's an ongoing license.

I think I've got the information I need at the moment. I will relay this to our User and let them decide whether they use Professional or Classic.

Thanks again.

~Jennifer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> General DataLoad Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: