DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to stop FREEZING from happening while loading...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Forms Playback Support (.fld files)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rappaj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: How to stop FREEZING from happening while loading... Reply with quote

Hi,

I was able to test an fld file with 220 records several times. It proved to be 2 1/2 times faster than the MACRO version, which is a good thing. For no apparent reason that I can see, the same test file froze on me a few other times on different records. Each time I had to 'TASK MANAGER' out of Oracle APPS. Sometimes, it would go through all the way without freezing. Any idea why it would freeze on me?

I read somewhere that someone suggested to minimize the window as a possible solution stop the freezing on a record. They say that if the Oracle window is minimised you can check the load progress by monitoring the file that Oracle records to during playback. Where is this file that Oracle records to during playback so I can see this progress?
I minimized the window as Support suggested, but it still sometimes freezes.

I also saw another solution to remove this parameter from my URL..."&config=playback" . Has anyone found this to be a solution?

This problem is a big concern to us while we are testing to see if this product is worth purchasing. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to stop FREEZING from happening while loading... Reply with quote

rappaj wrote:
They say that if the Oracle window is minimised you can check the load progress by monitoring the file that Oracle records to during playback. Where is this file that Oracle records to during playback so I can see this progress?

The file that Oracle records to is the file that you specify in your URL as the record=filename.
rappaj wrote:
I minimized the window as Support suggested, but it still sometimes freezes.

Other people have reported problems, but with over 20,000 records - see http://www.dataload.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63 - but loads of 200 to 300 should not cause any problems. I think that we need to ask DataLoad Support for their guidance on this one.

rappaj wrote:
This problem is a big concern to us while we are testing to see if this product is worth purchasing. Any help is appreciated.

I have used both Classic and Professional and I am a great fan of both. I would normally expect Professional to run at up to 20 times the speed of Classic (not the 2.5 times faster that you found). I have used it to load thousands of Cross-segment Validation Rules in 8 orgs in 4 environments without a hitch. I would thoroughly recommend DataLoad Professional as an absoluteley essential tool for Oracle systems implementation.

Cool HTH

David
Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

David K. Dickson
DataLoad Forum Moderator
rappaj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You say that I can see the progress by going to: The file that Oracle records to is the file that you specify in your URL as the record=filename. Are you saying that whatever gets loaded successfully, gets put into this record file? If so, then that would be good.

I am using a trial PRO version of dataload which expires next week. I've posted this freeze problem several times to the support team early last week, but have not heard back from them at all. Frustration is mounting here...

Support team: Please let me know whether or not you can help. The purchase of this product for my users depends on whether I can get this particular load working smoothly for 800,000 records, which they run once or twice a year over many load files. With the MACRO version, it takes them about a week, round the clock on about 10 desktops. If this one works somewhat smoother, and quicker, I'm sure several licenses will be purchsed.

I can't even get it to complete 300 before it freezes up on me. A few times it made it through ok, but will I always have to worry about it freezing right from the start?

I also haven't been able test anything yet, the test database has been down for a couple of days. I am anxious to try with removing this parameter......"&config=playback" to see if it works better.

Thanks,
Joe
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

With regard to your first point, the answer is yes, whatever is loaded is recorded to a log file. This can be used to check the progress of the load and acts as an audit of what data was loaded. You will notice that the setup you do to enable playback, that is the value you entered in the ICX: Forms Launcher profile optijn value, includes both record= and play= parameters. The record= parameter causes Oracle to record a log of the load and this can be used as described above.

The freezing issue does sometimes occur although the load may or may not continue working in the background when the client forms have frozen. The issue appears to be caused by Oracle's client not being able to keep up with the rapid screen updates. Most customers do not experience this but when it does occur it can usually be fixed by removing the "&config=playback" clause (or "&code=oracle.forms.engine.MainRT", if used) from the ICX: Forms Launcher profile option value for your playback user.

Making that change stops Oracle from displaying all the screen updates during the load. Specifically, the main Oracle window is displayed and the status bar is updated (which is a good way to track the progress of the load) but the form where data is being loaded is not shown until the end of the load. When the load completes the forms are displayed as normal. Not showing the form during the load fixes the freezing issue for most customers and I strongly suggest you try that.

Note that in most forms I would not expect you to be able to load 800,000 records in one hit without issues. That is not a DataLoad limitation but more about Oracle Forms not being designed or tested to cope with that level of data input in one session. Ultimately if there is a limiting factor for DataLoad Professional it is usually the number of records a form can process in one go before Oracle Forms encounters an issue. Fortunately in most forms Oracle will process many 1000s of records however 800,000 may be too many to expect. To load that many I recommend you try multiple loads running in parallel (as discussed in a separate forum topic) because that will not only reduce the risk of a forms stability issue but will also make it faster to load all records.

Regards,

Jonathan Stuart.
rappaj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

It's been a few weeks since I last attempted to get back and test the PRO version.

I finally did, and you were right. By removing &config=playback from the url, it hasn't froze on me once. I tested from a file with 1000 records several times.

Thanks,
Joe
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

That't great news, thanks for the update.

Jonathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Forms Playback Support (.fld files) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: