DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with lookup fields-in load mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Macro Load Support (.dld files)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROMANOSKIP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Problem with lookup fields-in load mode Reply with quote

I am brand new to Data Load. This was my first experiment today.

I figured out how to feed a template file-but when it gets to fields that do what I'd call a 'hyperlookup'-where it has a drop down list of valid fields to pick from, it doesn't seem accept the character I am feeding. An example, for customer type I am supplying a "C" character-for COD. and the behavior in the screen when entering by hand is that when you tab to that field, if you type a character that is the value for the first letter of one of the validated lookup values, it defaults that in. If you type a second C-if there is one that is present such as "Commercial" that would then default in, if not, it stays on the first one. I don't get any behavior at all that I can tell when feeding this character.

I did find that if I manually (not in data load) do a ctrl-end while in the beginning of the lookup field, that it fills in the last value in the lookup (the highest value one sorted) and positions the cursor at the front. So then I can do a shift-ctrl-end to highlight the entire field to remove it when I type something, and then I can type a manual C and it gets the first C value in the lookup. But when I put this in the form with the ctrl_end and C sequence, it still doesn't recognize and leaves the original value after the ctrl_end sequence.

I am doing this in the client server version of the apps (no browser-straight application in vb or cc++) as I can't do a test on my local laptop for the web version as all I have is the client server version and I need a web environment to run the web apps I will try eventually try a web version when I can and maybe the behavior is different, but I would prefer to use this on the client server version as many clients only install the client server version and there are some obscure apps that aren't ported to the web in older versions.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The problem here is probably because the C is being sent using DataLoad's default of Copy & Paste but in these sorts of fields you need a keypress. To get DataLoad to actually press the C key you should enter the following in the DataLoad cell:

\c

If you need to select, say, the second drop list value that begins with C then you will want DataLoad to press C twice. You can do that with the following syntax:

\{c 2}

Please try that.

Thanks,

Jonathan
ROMANOSKIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for taking the time to guide me. I am going to try this when I have time next week and will udpate post as to success. Thanks again.
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. It is worth knowing/remembering that by default DataLoad pastes data into the target application. This is usually the fastest and more reliable way to load data but it doesn't work when you want to select a value from a drop list or tick a checkbox, etc. In those cases and when you want to perform navigation then you need to use keystrokes. There is more information about keystrokes on the following web page:

http://www.dataload.com/help/macro/keystrokes.htm

Thanks,

Jonathan
ROMANOSKIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't wait for next week and had a few minutes, so I gave your solution a try-and it worked like a champ. Thank you so much-this is a wonderful tool to use. I will most likely upgrade to pro after using for a while and wil be recommending this to many of my customers. I am a data consultant and load tables, but some areas have many complex hooks and for areas that it's not documented or where volume is low, this is an ideal solution. Thank you!
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem and good to hear that worked for you. Please get back in touch if you need more help. If you do buy the Pro version then be aware that also provides DataLoad Scripting that you can use for loading direct to databases, etc, so that might also be useful to you.

Jonathan
ROMANOSKIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info-I will let you know if I need any other info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into it. I'll assume best way is to reply to this post, but if things are unrelated to the original question, that might not be the best way so let me know what is then.

As far as direct dbase access and scripting tool, I'm unsure as to precisely what that means. I assume it would mean that it would take the content of hte input and insert directly to a table like a sql insert statement. I guess the advantage of that would be you can bypass using other tools like sqlloader in Oracle or BCP or BULK in sql server and push cell content to table. I'm not sure what advantages scripting would provide, so maybe some feeedback on that or other features in the pro version. I know it handles a higher volume in pro-which is the most likely reason I would upgrade as we may deal with very large volumes of data at times, although then it is a better candidate for tradxitional etl insertion direct to tables.

Thanks
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To answers your first question, if you have any further questions then please add them to this post or if they are about something new then I suggest you start a new forum topic.

DataLoad Scripting enables you to package up scripts that process data from the DataLoad spreadsheets and do something with that in Oracle (and other databases). So that could be as simple as applying an INSERT statement to load all of the rows in DataLoad. But things could be more complex, for example you could perform some validation to the data and then retrieve values from the database, perhaps to find if the data already exists or to get IDs so you can maintain referential integrity, and you can then load your data. You can call all of the normal SQL commands, e.g. INSERT, DELETE, SELECT, etc, and run procedures & packages.

If you already have a "toolkit" of scripts and generally work by changing and enhancing those then DataLoad Scripting may not offer many benefits. However, if you want a more friendly way to create loads that gives more flexibility, interactivity and ease of use than narrow tools like SQL*Loader then DataLoad Scripting is worth looking at. Similarly, if you want other people to be able to load data then it is easier to give them a user-friendly DataLoad Script.

Even if you don't use Scripting then DataLoad Pro offers lots of advantages for loading higher volumes of data more quickly and more reliably in to the forms. This includes Load Control (all forms but particularly Oracle EBS core/professional forms), Browser Control (browser forms, e.g. Oracle EBS Self Service) and Forms Playback (fastest loads for Oracle EBS core/professional forms).

Thanks,

Jonathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> Macro Load Support (.dld files) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: