DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dataload Pro, installation/usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> General DataLoad Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdmerlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Dataload Pro, installation/usage Reply with quote

I just received the Pro version of dataload and after reading through all the materials on the website am still at a loss of how to use the tool. Are there any other materials available that would assist me in assimiliating to the Pro version?

I would like to learn more indepth the 1) technical options (how do you manage the record/playback files when you don't have access to the Unix side of the network, and would like to use only 1 user_id, 2) How does the tool work, from the user side (do you load the tool just like in classic then associate a recording with it)?
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dataload Pro, installation/usage Reply with quote

mdmerlin wrote:
Are there any other materials available that would assist me in assimiliating to the Pro version?

No, as far as I know there aren't any other materials, but I will try to help in any way that I can.

The first thing is that you are going to have to get into the good books of your APPS DBA and work closely with him/her to get DataLoad Professional set up and working properly. It cannot be done without some fairly high-level technical jiggery-pokery, but once it has been set up, it should not need any maintenance, unless other users require access as well, then you might want to set up new userids and keep the user data files separate. Show your APPS DBA the Oracle Forms Playback page at http://www.dataload.net/help/recplay/index.htm and ask them to read the Background, Overview and Setup sections in the left navigation box. Note that the Setup is different for different versions of the APPS.

Now, a little bit more, as promised in answer to your other question:-

With Professional, you first put Oracle Forms into Record mode and enter two records (or maybe three), which results in the creation of a "Record File" on the server. You then transfer the "Record File" to the PC (I use FTP for this), making sure it has an extension of .fld and open it in DataLoad, which recognises the .fld extension and prompts you for the first field on your two (or three) records. (It then knows that the stuff before this is navigation and preparation for data entry, such as choosing the right Value Set if you are going to enter Segment Values.) It then lays out your data in the worksheet (note that Professional does not need to be told over and over again about tabbing between fields, clicking buttons, pressing <Enter>, etc.). You then add your own data and save the file as a "Playback File" with a .fld extension and put it back on the server (with FTP again). Now you put Oracle Forms into Playback mode (pointing at your new "Playback File") and off it goes.
mdmerlin wrote:
how do you manage the record/playback files when you don't have access to the Unix side of the network, and would like to use only 1 user_id,
Set up another 2 userids for use with DataLoad Professional, one with record only (e.g. mdmerlin_rec) and one with both record and playback (e.g. mdmerlin_play). These will have the "Record File" and "Playback File" names and locations hard coded into them, so that the user does not need to change them. (You might want to use file names like DataLoad_Record.fld and DataLoad_Playback.fld.)

You will still need access to PTF to be able to transfer the files backward and forward, but if the Record and Playback files are both in a directory / folder of their own, it should be possible to secure the folder and FTP so that the users cannot access anything else they should not access.

Now, when the user logs on with the Record userid, it always points to the same location, and the same record file. Once this file has been created, the DBA will have to make the Record file readable by all users, so they will have to do a chmod 666. Now the file can be FTP'ed to the PC and edited with DataLoad and the resultant Playback file can be FTP'ed onto the server. Again, the DBA will have to make the Playback file readable by all users, so they will have to do a chmod 666, however, they should only have to do the chmod command once for each file, not every time you use DataLoad Professional. (The Forms server is one userid, your FTP login is a different userid, but both have to be able to read and write the files.)

Now, when the user logs on with the Playback userid, it always points to the same location, and the same playback file. It is strongly recommended that you always Record during a Playback (it allows Oracle Forms to work better), but there is no reason why you should not use the same Record file as above.

mdmerlin wrote:
How does the tool work, from the user side (do you load the tool just like in classic then associate a recording with it)?
Perhaps you now know the anser to this question. You double-click a .fld file, edit it and save it, then FTP it to the server, then log on with the Playback userid.

I have just reread the above, prior to submitting it, and realise that I may / may not have answered your question. If I did not, then let me know, and tell me what else you wish to know. If I can help, I will.

Cool HTH

David.
Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

David K. Dickson
DataLoad Forum Moderator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> General DataLoad Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: